Cup Title Proves Elusive for Castleisland AFC as Celtic Triumph

Mike Rice reports on the replayed Greyhound Bar Cup final.
Mike Rice reports on the replayed Greyhound Bar Cup final.

Greyhound Bar KO Cup Final Replay :  Listowel Celtic 1 Castleisland AFC 0

Report by Mike Rice

Castleisland’s bid to win back to back Greyhound Bar Cup titles ended in disappointment at Mounthawk Park on Friday evening when they went down to Listowel Celtic in this replay.

There was no late reprieve for the islanders in this game and they can have no complaints as the better side won on the night.

Over the 90 minutes Celtic were by far the superior side dictating play throughout the pitch.

They were first to every ball worked hard to gain possession and used the ball very well when in possession.

Micheál Lynch and Seamus Keane were outstanding at the heart of the defence throwing their bodies on the line to block shots, won everything in the air and done the sensible thing when under pressure.

Their big duo of Paudie Quinn and Kevin Murphy led by example while the goal that won the game was a stunner from Kevin Bambury.

Celtic were much hungrier for the ball from the very outset and had two early chances but efforts by Paudie Quinn and Mike Woods yielded nothing.

Down the other end Aidan O’Callaghan had a half chance after a corner kick by Sean Brosnan but his effort was too tame to bother Celtic goalie, Cathal Keane.

Celtic almost took the lead in the 10th minute when Bryan Murphy used his strength to win the ball and fed Paudie Quinn just inside the box but he dragged his shot left and just outside the left hand post.

Castleisland had a claim for a penalty 5 minutes later when Pa Hickey took a tumble in the box but it would be very harsh if it was given.

As Celtic continued to mount relentless attacks they went ahead in the 25th minute with a goal worthy of winning any game.

It began with a throw in by Kevin Mc Carthy which Ian Murphy took down and threaded the ball in to Kevin Bambury on the run just outside the box. He let go with a screamer which flew into the bottom corner of the net.

Just past the half hour mark Micheál Lynch latched on to a Paudie Quinn free kick and his glancing header flashed past the left hand post.

A foul on Mike Woods then led to a free kick for Celtic on the verge of the box but Paudie Quinn’s hit it poorely and it came back off the defensive wall.

Castleisland had a chance just before half time when Dean Poolman set up Sean Brosnan but his low shot was the wrong side of the post.

Castleilsand boss Mike Mc Carthy made two substitutions at half time with Stan Divane replacing Dean Poolman and Tommy Feehan for Pierce Brosnan.

Creativy was very restricted in the second half as Listowel Celtic sat back and defended their lead while Castleisland tried to engineer a score but they rarely looked like getting it.

The Celtic defence were completely on top and there was no lee way for Sean Brosnan to penetrate it.

They got a good chance to equalise in the 56th minute when a foul on Pa Hickey led to a free kick on the verge of the Celtic box.

However Sean Brosnan effort was too tame and was easily blocked by Celtic’s defensive wall.

Castleisland then forced a corner kick which was floated in by Sean Brosnan and Celtic goalie Cathal Keane made a great catch under pressure.

Celtic goalscorer Kevin Bambury then picked up and injury in an accidental clash and was replaced by Ricky Hanley.

Celtic were only a whisker away from doubling their lead in the 81st minute when sub Ricky Hanley set up a chance for Bryan Murphy and his rasper of the shot from just outside the box was just over the bar.

Castleisland made a couple of late raids to try and get an equaliser but they were snuffed out by two great defensive headers by Celtic centre half Micheál Lynch.

While Castleisland will be disappointed with the result they still had a very good season and while they did not pick up any silverware at senior level they will be in there again chasing for titles next season. However they will be doing it under a new manager as Mike Mc CArthy has revealed that he is stepping down to concentrate in playing with the team in the new season.

Castleisland B have a chance of landing silverware later today at Mounthawk Park when they play Skeliga F C in the Division 1A League Final. the kick off is at 3 30pm.

Teams : Listowel Celti:  Cathal Keane, Martin Loughnane, (Eddie Joe Walsh 52), Seamus Keane, Micheál Lynch, Kevin Mc Carthy, Paudie Quinn, Kevin Bambury, (Ricky Hanley 73), Aidan Quinn, Bryan Murphy, Mike Woods, (Eoin O’Mahony 65), Ian Murphy.

Castleisland AFC: Kevin Moran, Pierce Brosnan, (Tommy Feehan 46), Paul Carmody, Aidan O’Callaghan, Padraig Reidy, Shane O’Loughlin, (Ray Huggard 50), Mike Hanifin, Pa Hickey, Timmy Walsh, Sean Brosnan, Dean Poolman (Stan Divane 46).

Referee Seamus O’Mahony