Kieran’s Exit as Legion March On

St Kieran’s bowed out of this year’s county championship after losing to Legion in the second round in Castleisland Saturday night. It finished Legion 2-13, St Kieran’s 17 points.

Amber Galwey report on the exit of St. Kieran's from the 2014 Co. SFC on Saturday evening in Castleisland
Amber Galwey reports on the exit of St. Kieran’s from the 2014 Co. SFC on Saturday evening in Castleisland.

The home side were much improved from their first round match last weekend. Both teams started strong, getting early points for their respective sides.

Legion were lively and fast paced for the duration of the match. Conor Keane was outstanding for the visitors, particularly in the first half scoring six consecutive points from play.

Kieran’s forwards were very impressive, along with Aidan Breen and Barry Lynch who contributed greatly to Kieran’s performance. There was very little between both sides for the majority of the first half. However, the home side suffered a blow just before half time when Padraig Reidy was forced off due to injury.

Legion found the back of St Kieran’s net during injury time, despite missing two goal chances earlier in the half. The goal was scored by Thomas Moriarty after some great play by Conor Keane and saw Legion take a four point lead. The first half finished Legion 1-08, St Kieran’s seven points.

The second half opened with Legion’s Conor Keane driving the ball towards Kieran’s goals. It hit the crossbar much to the relief of the home supporters. With only three points between the sides, Kieran’s pushed forward in attempts to close the gap. Thomas Hickey and Philip O’Connor continued to put points on the board for Kieran’s, but Conor Keane and Thomas Moriarty answered back maintaining Legions lead.

A goal from Legions’ Jonathon Lyne pushed the visitor’s six points ahead. Kieran’s didn’t lose their determination as Edmund Walsh and Philip O’Connor continued to put points on the board, closing the gap to just two points. Legion had yet another goal chance hit the crossbar in the 28th minute. However, the visitors had done enough to secure a two point win as the final whistle sounded. It finished Legion 2-13, St Kieran’s 17 points.

Scorers for St Kieran’s: Edmund Walsh 0-07, Philip O’Connor 0-05, Aidan Breen 0-03, Thomas Hickey 0-02.

Scorers for Legion: Conor Keane 0-08, Thomas Moriarty 1-02, Jonathon Lyne 1-01, Billy McGuire 0-01, Danny Sheahan 0-01.