Milltown/Castlemaine Hold the Edge over Glenbeigh/Glencar

Kerry V Mayo NFL 1st Round 1-2-2015
Disappoint was Eamonn Fitzmaurice’s lot after one of the most exciting game of football between Dublin and Kerry in recent years. ©Photograph: John Reidy

Commiserations to the Kerry Seniors

Commiserations to the Kerry senior panel who unfortunately bowed out of the championship despite an enormous effort against Dublin.

You all played your hearts out –you should be so proud of the way you represented yourselves, your clubs and your county. Tiocfaidh ár lá. Well done to the management team on their work with the team too.

Congratulations to the Kerry Minors

Well done to The Kerry minors on reaching the All Ireland Final after their comprehensive defeat of Kildare at the weekend. What a game to watch… The future of Kerry football certainly looks very bright with these young footballers. Great credit must go to their manager Peter Keane of Keane’s SuperValu, Killorglin and his backroom team of: Tommy Griffin, Chris Flannery and Padraig Murphy.

Our senior goal keeper, Cormac Leane is part of this group of promising footballers. Well done Cormac, your club is very proud of your achievements.

Close finish between Milltown/Castlemaine and Glenbeigh/Glencar

Milltown Castlemaine took on Glenbeigh Glencar in the O’ Sullivan Cup-in the Paddy Burke Memorial Park on Tuesday evening.

 Playing in glorious sunshine, the first score came in the first minute with a point from Glenbeigh/ Glencar. It took Milltown Castlemaine until the fifth minute to score with a point from Gavin Horan. They quickly followed with two more from Cathal Moriarty and Eoin O’Brien. Despite some good play from GG, it was MC’s Gavin Horan who added the next score – his second point of the game. Jason McKenna added a point from play to give GG their second point after 15 minutes of play.

Jonathan O'Sullivan
Jonathan O’ Sullivan, in superb form for Milltown/Castlemaine. ©photograph: John Reidy

A Surging Run

The next passage of play saw Jonathan O’Sullivan point a free for MC to give them a three point lead.

GG’s Podge Griffin fielded the next kick out which lead to a point from Kieran Cahillane and Tommy Cahill added another straightaway to reduce the deficit to one point 0-5 to 0-4.

Caoilte Griffin made a surging run down the centre only to have the ball turned over by MC.

A cross-field ball by Jonathan O’Sullivan to Eoin O’Mahony ended in Eoin slotting it over with his right boot for MC’s sixth point.

The 23rd minute saw a great move by MC. This involved: Jeremiah Hayes, Pa Wrenn and Thady O’ Sullivan and culminated in a super goal from Cathal Moriarty. Score line was now 1-06 to 0-04. GG responded with a point from Tommy Cahill.

First Out of The Blocks

A pointed free from Jonathan O’Sullivan was to be the last score of the first half. Half time score: 1-07 to 0-05. MC introduced Craig Counihan for the injured Eoin O’Mahony at half time. The MC lads were first out of the blocks with a pointed free from Jonathan O’Sullivan for a foul on Craig Counihan.

MC was unfortunate when a quick turnover saw GG’s Kieran Courtney score a superb goal from a shot which gave Kevin Tangney no chance.

A counter attack by the home side saw Donal Dennehy kick a fantastic point off his left leg. This gave MC a four point advantage with the scoreboard reading: 1-09 to 1-05.

Our keeper was once again called on to pull off a brilliant save from Podge Griffin. MC turned over the ball and Thady O’Sullivan, Pa Wrenn and Jerome Flynn linked up.

A foul on Jerome resulted in another pointed free from Jonathan O’Sullivan. This was immediately cancelled when Shane Riordan and Jack Brosnan combined with Calvin Teahan for a super point for GG.

Disaster Struck

After 10 minutes of the second half, the scoreline stood at 1-10 to MC, 1-06 to GG. Both sides had a few turnovers and wides until GG were awarded a free and this was pointed by Tommy Cahill.

Disaster struck in the 46th minute when a quickly taken free by Tommy Cahill resulted in GG’s second goal excellently taken by Calvin Teahan. The sides were now level at 1-10 to 2-07. MC brought in fresh legs when Jerome Flynn made way for Kieran McKenna.

Donal Denney kicked another glorious point to put the home side ahead . This was followed shortly after by a pointed free from Jonathan O’ Sullivan, who was in superb form. GG added a point by Kieran Courtney despite the attentions of Tadhg McCarthy who was having a busy but brilliant game on the full back line.

A Clever Flick

With 12 minutes to go and only a point between the teams, excitement was mounting. In the 54th minute, substitute Kieran McKenna added MC’s second goal to the score sheet with a clever flick past GG keeper, Peter O’ Sullivan.

Could GG claw back a five-point deficit to keep themselves in the competition? Yes they could and, in less than a minute, a move between Shane Riordan and Tommy Cahill ended up with another goal for GG’s Kieran Courtney. Just a point between them now and four minutes remaining. Could MC hang on or could GG find another score?

Tommy Cahill obliged with a point in the 27th minute. The teams were level with three minutes remaining. The 28th minute saw further excitement with GG’s keeper having to pull off two magnificent saves from Cathal O’Connor. The looked certain goals but eventually went out for a 45. The next and final passage of play saw MC being awarded a free for a foul on Cathal Moriarty and this was slotted over by Jonathan O’Sullivan. Final Score: Milltown Castlemaine-2-13   Glenbeigh Glencar: 3-09. Well done to both teams for a superb effort.

You can contact The Maine Valley Post on…
Anyone in The Maine Valley Postcatchment area who would like to send us news and captioned photographs for inclusion can send them to:

Queries about advertising and any other matters regarding The Maine Valley Post can also be sent to that address or just ring: 087 23 59 467