Desmonds Edge Currow Out in Thriller

Thomas Hickey  - turned in a man-of -the -match display against Currow. ©Photograph: John Reidy
Thomas Hickey – turned in a man-of -the -match display against Currow. ©Photograph: John Reidy

Desmonds hosted Currow in a repeat of the last years semi-final game in this year’s round two match of the Castleisland Co-Op Mart sponsored Intermediate Co. Championship.
This game was played in brilliant sunshine and in front of a very large crowd. Currow played with a strong breeze to their backs and into the scoreboard end of the ground.
After kicking two wides, they opened their account with a lovely point from full forward John Buckley after five minutes.
Desmonds midfielder, Pat Fitzgerald opened the home side’s account with a well taken point from play and within 30 seconds, Mike McCarthy kicked Currow’s  next two points for Currow.
Fast and Furious
The game now was being played at a fast and furious pace to the delight of the crowd. Then we saw Desmonds captain Maurice Hickey and his brother Thomas score two more points for the home side to level the score at three points each. Daniel O’Shea scored Currow’s next point from a well worked move to take his side ahead by a point.
Great movement by Desmonds resulted in Thomas Hickey splitting the Currow defence to score a great individual goal and the only one of this game. This put Desmonds into the lead on the scoreline of 1-03 to 0-4 after 15 minutes of play.
Now Currow were under pressure with Hickey pulling the strings in the full forward line and he tapped over another score from a free. John Buckley scored a point from in front of the clubhouse to narrow the home side’s lead to two points.
Missing Scores

Rebecca Reidy, Miriam O'Connell and Zara O'Connor enjoying the Croke Park experience on Sunday.
Rebecca Reidy, Miriam O’Connell and Zara O’Connor enjoying the Croke Park experience on Sunday.

With both sides guilty of missing scores, Desmonds goalkeeper Stephen Bartlett scored a great point from a 45. His kick was into the sunlight and against the breeze and it brought a mighty roar from the home supporters as they saw the teams go in a half time in the lead on 1-05 to 0-5.
The second half saw Currow score two unanswered points in the first two minutes of play from the boot of Timmy O’Leary and Daniel O’Shea and this game was now up for grabs.
Man-of-the-match, Thomas Hickey trilled the home crowd and we watched him score a well-earned point from a free. Desmonds at this stage were reduced to 14 men as midfielder, Maurice O’Connell received a second yellow card after five minutes of the half. With the wind now to their backs the home side’s Thomas Hickey tagged on three more points – two of these from frees. The lead was back to three points 1-08 to 0-8pts with 18minutes gone in the second half.
The home side’s defenders, led by Barry Lynch, Tadgh O’Connell, Denis O’Connor and Mike Brosnan, were defending fiercely now. Currow were looking to John Buckley for their scores and, credit to the man, he duly obliged  with another score from play. Desmonds were now in full control of the game with another score from a free from Hickey – and Currow had no answer to him on the night.
Spirited Currow
Brian Leonard of Desmonds made his way up from the half back line to score a fisted point and this brought their lead up by four points with six minutes left in this game. It looked like it was game over and a Desmonds victory was on the cards.
But credit must really go to a spirited Currow side. They were led in a late revival by former Kerry midfielder, Seamus Scanlon. They never gave up and we saw them score three unanswered points from play by their midfielder Timmy O’Leary and sub Ian Somers. We were now in for a nail biting finish to this game with the score at 1-10 to 0-12. The visiting supporters were now roaring on their side. With Currow now trying their best to bring this game into extra time, the clock got the better of them in the end and the home side reached their third semi-final in a row in this competition. It ended on a score of 1-10 to 0-12 to send the home crowd home very happy on a lovely spring evening.
Well done to the Desmonds ladies side of the club who provided teas and coffees for the public and thanks also must go to Charlie Farrelly who provided the PA system on the night.
Congrats to Pat and Bridget and Welcome to Conor
Congratulations to former player Pat McMahon and his wife Bridget on the birth last weekend of their son Conor.
The U-16 team defeated Laune Rangers in the central region semi-final on Monday in Killorglin by 4-10 to 3-08.
It was a great performance as they lost to the same team earlier in the competition. The final of the central region now takes place on the coming Monday May 2nd against Austin Stacks at 7pm with the venue to be confirmed. We hope to see a large crowd there supporting this up and coming team of young men.
Club Lotto Worth €4,700
The Castleisland Desmonds GAA Club lotto takes place next Sunday, May 7th in the Poet’s Inn.
The jackpot stands at €4,700.
White Collar Boxing
The club will host a white collar boxing event on Friday, July 8th. ‘The Brawl in the Hall’ will be held in Castleisland Community Centre. There will be further details available in the coming weeks.